- Instructor: Peter Goh
- Lectures: 35
- Duration: 2 days
1. COURSE TITLE
Basic Cloud Computing Using Amazon Web Services (AWS)
2. COURSE DESCRIPTION
Learn how to sign up for an Amazon Web Services account and set up AWS for a web application from start to finish in this highly intensive 2-day course.
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is a leading cloud service provider that offers a broad set of global computing, storage, database, analytics, application, and deployment services. It enables businesses to move their applications to the cloud and manage them effortlessly and at a minimal cost. With AWS, they can bring down capital expenses on the computing infrastructure as they have to pay only for what they use. Therefore, more and more organizations are looking to adopt AWS solutions to gain the winning advantage.
You’ll master the architectural principles and services of the top cloud platform, design and deploy highly scalable, fault-tolerant infrastructure, and develop skills to transform yourself into an AWS cloud architect.
3. COURSE HIGHLIGHTS
In this course, you will learn:
- What are the categories of cloud services
- The business and technical benefits of using cloud services
- How to implement scalability
- Sign-up for an AWS account
- AWS global infrastructure
- How to manage your cloud computing cost
- How to create and manage Windows and Linux based virtual machines with EC2
- How to create and manage MySQL and SQL Server relational databases with RDS
- How to utilize the storage capabilities with S3 and Glacier
- How to get and use a domain name with Route53
- And much, much more…
4. TARGET AUDIENCE
This course is intended for system administrators, IT managers, IT administrators and operators, IT engineers, product managers, and network architects.
Basic computer knowledge. Prior experience in Windows and Linux administration is essential. Participants are required to bring their laptops for the practical hands-on portions of the workshop.
6. COURSE OUTLINE
Module 1 – Cloud Concepts
- Categories of cloud services
- Business benefits
- Technical benefits
- Sign-up for an AWS account
- AWS sign-up process
- Global infrastructure
- Pricing and Free tier
Module 2 – Harnessing the Computing Power of AWS
- Create a Windows and Linux-based virtual machine instances with EC2
- Access the instances that you have created
- Add disk volumes to your instances
- Backup and restore your instances
- Secure your instances
- Assign a permanent IP address to your instances
Module 3 – Utilizing the Database Capabilities of AWS
- Create a MySQL and SQL Server relational databases with RDS
- Access the databases that you have created
- Implement multi-AZ instances for failover
- Increase the volume size of your database
- Backup and restore your databases
- Secure your databases
- How to connect your EC2 instances to your RDS databases securely
Module 4 – Using the Storage Capabilities of AWS
- Create a storage bucket with S3
- Upload files into your bucket
- Create folders within the bucket
- Make the contents of your bucket available to the public
- Uploading files using an S3 Explorer client
- Backing up your files to your bucket
- Tools to mount your bucket to your local computer as a network drive
- Set Archive access rules to folders and files in your bucket
Module 5 – Map a Domain Name to Your App
- Buy a domain name for use by your app
- Create a new hosted zone in Route 53
Module 6 – Monitor the Health of Your Resources Using CloudWatch and SNS
- Create and manage alarms using CloudWatch metrics
- Configure SNS to send alarm notifications to appropriate contacts
Module 7 – Manage AWS Security
- Study the Shared Security Model adopted by AWS
- Create accounts, groups, and roles, and assign permissions using IAM
7. COURSE DURATION
2 Days (10 am – 5 pm)
8. COURSE RECOGNITION
FutureSkills Institute short courses are non-award courses that offer participants the opportunity to quickly enhance professional skills, increase general knowledge in a chosen area, or nurture a new talent or hobby.
Participants that attend non-award short courses will be awarded a KARUNA certificate of attendance on completion of the course.
9. TRAINER’S PROFILE
Peter Goh is an experienced system administrator, developer, trainer, and consultant. He specializes in bleeding edge software development and has more than 20 years of experience in developing and deploying customized applications for desktop and mobile platforms.
Peter has a B.Sc with a double major in Computer Science and Information Systems from the University of Tasmania and is also a Singapore WSQ ACTA certified trainer.
In addition, he holds certifications in Microsoft’s MCSA and MCSE, AWS Professional Solutions Architect, etc.
Peter has extensive domain knowledge in .Net, Java, and Swift programming, and has helped many businesses build and launch e-commerce websites on Amazon AWS and Microsoft Azure.
He is also the Co-Founder & Technical Lead of Disruptive Digital, a full-service digital agency based in Singapore offering creative, innovative, and effective digital marketing campaigns that are driven by ROI.
1: Cloud Concepts
2: Harnessing the Computing Power of AWS
3: Utilizing the Database Capabilities of AWS
4: Using the Storage Capabilities of AWS
5: Map a Domain Name to Your App
6: Monitor the Health of Your Resources Using CloudWatch and SNS
7: Manage AWS Security